Home Security Tips
Below you will find some security tips for you to think about, these are by no means a definitive set of rules and are here to help you keep your family and property safe.
- Make sure your garage doors are always closed and securely locked even when you are at home.
- Always remove your keys from your vehicles when parked in the garage, even if the door is shut.
- Make sure your windows are fitted with security pins, security latches or nails.
- If you have a window air conditioner, make sure it is secured well.
- If you have security bars installed on any windows, make sure they are equipped with a quick release device so you can get out in case of an emergency.
- Arm your alarm system if you are going to be in your backyard for any length of time.
- Have exterior lighting at entry point, and check them regularly for proper operation
- Outside lighting ideally should illuminate 100 feet around.
- Use light timers on a daily basis, not just when your away from home.
- Use motion sensors on exterior lights.
- If you mainly enter your house from the garage, check your front porch for flyers or phone books or other material that may have been left, it could make it look like your away from home.
- Place a carbon monoxide detector near your furnace.
- Keep flammables stored in marked containers and away from heat sources.
- Place ABC-type fire extinguishers in the kitchen, garage and basement.
- Have and practice an escape plan with a designated meeting place should your family become separated during a fire or other emergency.
- Keep a list of all valuables, serial numbers and credit card numbers in a burg / fire proof safe. if able, also keep a narrated video of all your possessions especially electronic equipment in there also.